Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sewing



My mom has been sewing since well before I was born. When I was a kid up through my teenage years, I tried sewing, but always found it frustrating and tedious, so even though I liked the idea of sewing my own clothes and other items, I just didn't do it much.

Well recently I decided to give it another try and to start with something small, simple and something I wanted anyway. So I decided to try my hand at making a pocket tissue holder.

Mom had one she'd made years ago (and had added a ribbon of cross stitch flowers and some eyelet ribbon as well) so we used it as a pattern for me to make one. I was a little dubious because when mom says something is "easy", I never know what I'm getting into because she has so much experience sewing that things that would be difficult for a beginner she's been doing so long they would seem very easy to her.

Fortunately, this one was right up my alley. It was quick to make and looked nice when I was finished. I think I was more proud of that little tissue holder than I've been of anything else in a long while. I had conquered the "I can't sew" demon and, in the words of my 4 year old, "I DID IT MYSELF!"

I decided to make a few extra (my older daughter wanted one too), and ended up with these two that weren't being given to someone else. I'm considering adding these (and some other sewn items) to my Etsy store. Any opinions on whether this would work/would be a good idea?

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute and such a good idea! Do you sell them on your Etsy store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm considering it but I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll put these two up and see how they do. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails